Wednesday, March 8, 2017

International Women's Day: New Music, old loves

Hi everyone,

International Women's Day comes around once again and it becomes a time to not only celebrate women's achievements, but to bring some light to  women who have fought against adversity and challenged expectations around them. For those of us lucky enough to grow up in Australia, I feel as though the present is  probably the best it has ever been to be a woman. So many opportunities have been made available to step towards equality and to empower women to overcome gendered stereotypes and expectations to excel in whatever pathway that they choose. I feel as though we are so lucky to live here and to participate in a culture so celebratory of equality and the value of hard work.

Nevertheless, let's take today as an opportunity to talk about some women in music that I have loved and listen to some new tunes.


Green Light - Lorde




Absolutely been dying to hear some new stuff of her upcoming album Melodrama this new track was teased and taunted around the city of Auckland for a week before Lorde dropped it on us with all its big poppy sounds and soulful lyrics that she made famous. A beautiful transition from her debut album Pure Heroine that she made when she was 16. Now 20 she wows us once more with a new sound that is still throw hints back to her past. 


Jungle - Tash Sultana



What an absolute killer track from a killer lady. I remember jamming out to that wicked guitar in the car whenever this song comes up on the radio. The absolutely jaw dropping instrumentals send shivers down your spine and made the hair on my arms rise the first time I heard this song. From her EP Notion, Tash Sultana is definitely someone to watch. Definitely would love to hear this track live.

In an additional note that I need to make hours after finishing writing this post, I found out she premiered a new song yesterday, would you believe that? Just feel your ears writhe in pure joy listening to this little track.

Check it out here:


The Boys - Lisa Mitchell




Can I just tell you how much I love this song. I don't know what it is, something about the innocence of Lisa's voice and how the youthful softness to her singing has a way of making you focus on the lyrics. This song fills me with such a sense of nostalgia for something I don't know if I ever had. I love the way that the lyrics flow like a cool mountain stream off the tongue. Definitely one of my favourites. Her album Warriors is a pleasure to listen to, especially when you're a little bit stressed and need Lisa's beautiful voice to tell you everything will be okay.



Anywho, I hope you enjoyed your International Women's Day, ladies and gentlemen. Looking forward to what the next year brings in regards to gender equality and progressive societal changes towards acceptance, tolerance, and respect for all individuals, regardless of gender, creed, or colour.


Lots of love,

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment