Sunday, October 25, 2015

What the Funk?!

So, just in case you haven't been tuned into Keeping Up With Kristen's ridiculous music taste for a while you may have missed that huge funk obsession I went through earlier this year with Jungle. I thought it was over, I thought I had moved onto bigger and better things. But give me a slap bass line and I can feel The Funk rising up again.

So when Triple J and world renowned bae, Chet Faker, released his new funky single a last week in collaboration with London producer Marcus Marr I just about lost the effing plot.

*insert fangirl squealing here*

Unless you've been living under a rock over 2014, you no doubt would have heard of Chet's soulful style. The velvety rumblings of his vocal chords had entranced the entire nation and our hero took out the top of Triple J's Hottest 100 for 'Talk is Cheap' earlier this year. Well ladies and gentlemen, he's back.

Faker (actual name Nick Murphy) announced earlier this month that he was to release a new collaborative EP some time in December. This short and sweet four track EP is called Work and is going to be the resulting love child of a long musical crush between these two musical masterminds. The newly released track Trouble With Us has set my head into a tizzy, and I'm telling you now. You HAVE to hear it. It's so unlike anything that Chet Faker has produced before, this fun, upbeat, funky track has pretty much slap bassed all over my heart strings.



It starts of so simply, the track's sound is very clean and fresh. When you hit that chorus you're bopping already. It's a nice build up and release of a crescendo of funk. I think what I love the most about it is that it's so easy to sing along to, as well as the fact its so completely different to everything we've heard from Chet Faker's studio album Built on Glass. At the same time, I love when a musician shows us this kind of range. I mean, it still sounds like Chet Faker -  it is his distinctive vocal velvetiness that I'm fawning over, but Marcus Marr's sweet, sweet, bass line almost shows us a different side of what collaboration could mean. It's like when artists do covers and mess around with different types and styles of songs; we learn that they're more than just pretty faces, these guys have talent. What the best thing about it is, it's such a fun track, I love dance driving to this one, and I'm sure the people at the traffic lights appreciate my sick moves too.

So, if you see me around bopping to an unknown beat, be assured, this song is exactly what's been on my mind. Check it out, tell me what you think.

For more information and tour dates, check out the Triple J website.



Kristen

2 comments:

  1. How did I miss this!?! Thank you for your flawless recommendations and reviews kristen. I'm now happily bopping around in my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha! It's fantastic, isn't it? I heard it and immediately knew I had to write about it (and makes some Mighty Boosh references, of course :P)

      Delete